Pediatric Hearing Screening
From infancy to adolescence, we provide comprehensive hearing evaluations for all age groups. Dr. Samadi conducts a thorough physical assessment and reviews your health background to…
Pediatric Hearing Screening: An Essential Overview
Ensuring the auditory health of your child begins early in life. At our clinic, under the guidance of Dr. Samadi, we provide comprehensive pediatric hearing screenings tailored to every age group’s needs.
Newborn Hearing Screening Methods
For the newest members of our families, we deploy two fundamental screening methods: Evoked Otoacoustic Emissions (EOAE) and Auditory Brainstem Response (ABR). If any concerns arise from these initial screenings, further in-depth assessments are scheduled. Recognizing potential hearing issues within the first three months is pivotal, as addressing them in six months supports optimal speech and linguistic growth.
Screening Approaches for Infants and Toddlers
For this age group, Dr. Samadi typically starts with the EOAE assessment. If results suggest a deeper evaluation is required, an ABR test recommendation ensues. Moreover, we implement behavioral audiometry to study an infant or toddler’s reactions to specific auditory stimuli.
Hearing Screening for Older Kids
Children beyond three undergo the aforementioned screenings, complemented, if necessary, by more advanced methods. These may include impedance audiometry, speech audiometry, and the pure tone audiometry test.
Deep Dive into the Tests
- EOAE Explained: EOAE aims to gauge a newborn’s auditory response. Reactions are recorded through a minuscule, sound-emitting plug inserted in the baby’s ear. Conducted while the infant rests, this non-intrusive test can hint at potential hearing concerns if the baby doesn’t respond.
- ABR Defined: This test measures the infant’s brain reactions to sounds. With electrodes placed on the infant’s scalp and sounds played via earphones, the ABR offers insights into auditory brain activity.
- The Play Audiometry Method: Designed to be engaging, this test turns hearing evaluation into a fun activity. Children are prompted to react to specific sounds, which Dr. Samadi controls regarding volume and pitch.
- Impedance Audiometry: This technique, called tympanometry, evaluates the middle ear’s functionality. Essential for understanding changes in middle ear pressure, it demands the child’s stillness for accurate results.
- Speech Audiometry & Pure Tone Tests: While speech audiometry gauges reactions to words and sounds, pure tone audiometry pinpoints the range of pitches a child can discern.
Prioritize your child’s auditory health. If you have any concerns or wish to schedule a regular screening, contact our Pediatric Hearing Screening Center promptly. Schedule an Appointment Today! Taking prompt action ensures your child’s well-rounded auditory health. Book your pediatric hearing screening with us and guarantee a sound future for your little one.